This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Do you think rpcs3, as a HLE, is easier than as a LLE?
In PPSSPP, we've even taken HLE a step farther, for performance and compatibility reasons. Outside simply implementing the kernel in HLE, we've also re-implemented some common libc functions (that games include in their own code) in native C++ or jit code. JPCSP does something somewhat similar.

We also plan to use some of these "function replacements" as we call them to resolve compatibility issues, such as places where games write directly to the stencil buffer in ways that just aren't supported using OpenGL.

HLE gives you options when "just not supported" gets involved. LLE basically means "take the long way around."

rpcs3 is also currently emulating threads, if I understand the code right, using native threads. LLE would make this difficult, because presumably it would just emulate the native context switching. So this is another reason it would likely be much slower.

Anyway, if you think that LLE would mean faster development and better performance, I am certainly not trying to spoil your party. I've been wrong at least once or twice in the past, this could be another one of those few moments (I'm joking of course, I've been wrong so often...) But, I'm not likely to change my mind and probably, neither are other people here. If you've worked on other LLE emulators, I recommend you try your hand at a ps3 one.

Once you've shown the truth of your position with an LLE ps3 emulator, it's doubtless that many people will join in to help. Maybe even the same people who have replied here saying LLE is not better. That is, after all, the way to convince people in the open source world.

Good luck.

-[Unknown]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do you think rpcs3, as a HLE, is easier than as a LLE? - by [Unknown] - 05-10-2014, 12:52 AM