This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The ppsspp phenomenon
Hey to you all

For whom i am not familiar with , let me introduce myself.

I am shadow , author of well known emus like pcsx , pcsx2 , jpcsp , pcsp , pspe4all , arcadeflex and a bunch of other not-released emus ( Casting Dreams , pansx and a few others that i forgot)

Many of you have used , tried or were amazed by the new psp emulator PPSSPP , which appeared a while ago ( 6months?) .
Noone how ever wondered how but how that emu became so "compatible" and fast in such a short time.
If you take some time and check early ppsspp releases you will see that most of the time "modules" which appeared magically on ppsssp weren't nothing more than "ports" of jpcsp's modules. During time of course there were some "proper conversions" to C++ but the fact remains , PPSSPP uses jpcsp's RE.

I have seen many of you judge jpcsp for it's speed , comparing to ppsspp yah it might be slower sometimes , but many of you forget that without jpcsp and the hard work of it's members (me ,gid, hlide , fiveofhearts and a few others that worked on this project ) , ppssspp probably won't be as good as it is today , simply because it should RE the whole psp from start.

Don't get me wrong , jpcsp is open source and we support "copying" if that helps making things better BUT I don't support PPSSPP "company" as ppsspp seems to be.

Just take a look on ppssppp "GOLD" . From what i see in android store it claims to have 5.000 to 10.000 downloads so simple maths , about 25.000 to 50.000 euros income for the author in less than 6 months ! not bad eh?
(i wonder if they share that money with the other ppl that contribute to the project but anyway)

And they even introduced PPSSPP for windows! (that doesn't have a counter so i can't calculate).

Thinking all this and having more than 15 years in emu scene , if i had to compare ppsspp to another emu that would be "bleem" an commercial ps1 emulator back in 1999 (oldies might remember that).

Sure someone will say "hey there are free versions of ppsspp as well" but yah that solves the issue?

Why i decided to write it now? Well i just discovered by accident that a feature added in jpcsp 2 days ago became a pull request in ppsspp 2 hours ago....