This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Short Waves 0.0.1: new PS3 emulator from InoriRus
This emulator could have a future. I'm not against static recompilation, like hlide stated it's a good fallback method and considering this developer is working alone, it seems like a logical first step.
However, in my opinion, keeping this project as closed source would be a big mistake. There's no point on coding a PS3 emulator with a restrict team or even alone. The extension of the PS3 architecture would require a lot of time from developers and without some sort of funding (more than donations), people would start giving up, since it would not be sustainable for anyone.
While RPCS3 had a rough start, it became clear that a PS3 emulator must encompass a lot of wise choices, being the most important of all having a big community working on it.

Dynamic recompilation is necessary, and it's one of RPCS3's goals (I think it's on our roadmap). I believe DH already rewrote most of PPU with this in mind.
Also, I can't tell if the developer InoriRus has completely discarded the implementation of dynarec or if it's just stating that it won't be done in a near future.

As for OpenGL vs. DirectX, that's not really a big issue. When RPCS3 becomes stable enough, we can easily handle DirectX and OpenGL, either with a plugin structure or adding support for both internally.

Obviously, due to InoriRus choices, this WIP emulator is naturally optimized to show results. Unfortunately, that won't be enough later on.
I'm really interested in this approach to RSX. It would be nice to use the direct translation method as an intermediate solution for DirectX testing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Short Waves 0.0.1: new PS3 emulator from InoriRus - by Hykem - 01-08-2014, 05:35 PM