This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting into development
Hi all,

Sorry if this in in the wrong place. I'm a semi experienced C/C++ developer, with some OpenGL 3.3+ experience. I'd like to help in this project, but I'm not even sure where to start.

Any tips on what I should familarised myself with, first, or some documentation on the architecture of the PS3, etc..?

Thanks,
-Ben
Jumping on the bandwagon really quick, what's the best way to bounce questions about certain parts of the code? I'm looking at a potential solution to a small deadlocking/hang issue I found, but I'm not sure its exactly the correct way of going about it. Should I pull an issue on github?

Also, same problems as Ben above, where are some good places to start?
yep, sending pull requests and hanging out on irc (efnet #rpcs3) is currently the best we have. Also reading the scarce info on the github wiki
What do you think, if I will go to university, and become a master degree in Mathematics with Computer Science in about 7 years, will that be enough for developing emulators? I am mostly interested in figuring out how the hardware works. The only problem is that I think that I am not smart enough.
P.S Sorry for my bad english.
First, you must like it. Duo, school is not all, but you learn almost all there. I'll actually starting with advaced windows console applications in C++. I guess you learn more yourself if you have enough desires. But it is my opinion.
PC1: Pentium G2020, ASUS Radeon R9 290X, 6GB DDR3, Win 10
PC2: i7-6700HQ, GTX 960M+HD 530, 8GB DDR4, Win 10
yyy.... Pancakes?

PS: My nickname on Discord is eEXEO
(03-27-2014, 08:12 PM)mixdix123 Wrote: What do you think, if I will go to university, and become a master degree in Mathematics with Computer Science in about 7 years, will that be enough for developing emulators? I am mostly interested in figuring out how the hardware works. The only problem is that I think that I am not smart enough.

Absolutely. In fact, you will probably learn almost everything you need to know in the first 1-3 years. But then it comes down to having a lot of free time. Programming in general really isn't that hard, you will be able to make your own games after the first course probably (At least I did a crap ugly 2D dungeon crawler in Python...) But you do need a lot of free time from there if you wan't to make an emulator, and that's a real issue.

In any case, a master in mathematics and CS is certainly a good idea. Don't forget you are there to learn, no one expects you to know anything when your first start. Study seriously and you will be fine (as usual), regardless of how bad you did with your crappy teachers earlier in school.

Just my $0,02
Asus N55SF, i7-2670QM (~2,8 ghz under typical load), GeForce GT 555M (only OpenGL)
(03-27-2014, 08:12 PM)mixdix123 Wrote: What do you think, if I will go to university, and become a master degree in Mathematics with Computer Science in about 7 years, will that be enough for developing emulators? I am mostly interested in figuring out how the hardware works. The only problem is that I think that I am not smart enough.

As someone getting a bachelors in CS right now, I can't stress enough how worthwhile it is, and a masters in both mathematics and CS would be even more worth it.

Development isn't so much about how much time you spend learning. Once you grasp the basics(as sshadow pointed out, within 2-3 years probably), you can pretty much do anything. The real trick is having the time to invest. There will be things you don't know how to do, which will require you to look them up, figure them out, or whatever else needs to be done.

The overwhelming part of making any program is the time it takes to figure out exactly HOW to do something in the most efficient way possible, which is something that you don't learn in a class, it's something you just have to reason your way through on your own.

^Is my opinion on the subject, anyway.