This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How can i help?
i'm a beginner programer and i would really like to help you build this project, but truth be told, i have no idea where to begin.

I never built anything like an emulator, and have very minimal C++ knowledge... i'm more of a C#/Java programer, which i know doesn't help much with this project, but i'm willing to learn...

so:
how can i help? i tried to look at the github and i could hardly understand any of that. i just really didn't know where to start and what do to. is there anyone who can help me figure out how?

i hope there is a way i can help. and if it's only by testing games, i can do that too, but i believe that i can do much more.
Fork repository and experiment. If you come up with some nice improvements, then make an pull request. Take a look on roadmap on github.
ok, but what is the requirements for working on the project...
for example, i don't have a PS3 yet so i have no access to the bios files... can i still help without it?
(04-28-2014, 08:38 AM)kultuk Wrote: ok, but what is the requirements for working on the project...
for example, i don't have a PS3 yet so i have no access to the bios files... can i still help without it?

Yes. A good beginning would be to read up a bit on C++, get familiar with Visual Studio, take a look at the ps3 documentation, get familiar with rpcs3 (hint: it is a HLE emulator, no BIOS or almost any part of the PS3 OS is needed. Mostly just some font files and such that some programs load) and start fixing bugs. There are plenty Smile

Once you are confident ask Alex or someone on what you need to know before you implement new stuff.
Asus N55SF, i7-2670QM (~2,8 ghz under typical load), GeForce GT 555M (only OpenGL)
Thanks. now, all there is to do is to find some time Smile
ps3 
(04-28-2014, 09:48 AM)ssshadow Wrote:
(04-28-2014, 08:38 AM)kultuk Wrote: ok, but what is the requirements for working on the project...

Yes. A good beginning would be to read up a bit on C++, get familiar with Visual Studio, take a look at the ps3 documentation, get familiar with rpcs3 (hint: it is a HLE emulator, no BIOS or almost any part of the PS3 OS is needed. Mostly just some font files and such that some programs load) and start fixing bugs. There are plenty Smile

Once you are confident ask Alex or someone on what you need to know before you implement new stuff.

Well, I am also thinking about giving some help to the team. I've taken some courses in C & C++ programming and I can write some codes which can be run in Win32-Console. What else do I need to learn about C++ if I want to help with the development? By the way, I've also taken courses in digital circuit and principle of micro-computer.
(04-28-2014, 12:14 PM)Bigbird-CHN Wrote:
(04-28-2014, 09:48 AM)ssshadow Wrote:

Well, I am also thinking about giving some help to the team. I've taken some courses in C & C++ programming and I can write some codes which can be run in Win32-Console. What else do I need to learn about C++ if I want to help with the development? By the way, I've also taken courses in digital circuit and principle of micro-computer.

If you can read the code and understand it, and are able to use the Visual Studio debugger, than that should be a good start. Try fixing some bugs and get a good idea of how it all comes together before you go out and implement something totally new. As always, if you have fixed something just do a pull request to github.

If you feel ready to implement new stuff, contact one of the devs like AlexAltea for some really helpful hints...
Asus N55SF, i7-2670QM (~2,8 ghz under typical load), GeForce GT 555M (only OpenGL)
Of course if you have specific questions about the code-base you might want to joing the IRC channel #rpcs3 in EFNET