This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Do you think rpcs3, as a HLE, is easier than as a LLE?
HLE is mostly faster (in terms of runtime speed). Also, people are going to able to just buy a ps3 game, put it in their BluRay drive and play with HLE. With LLE we'd have to get them to dump the OS from their own PS3 which is just annoying. Also while for LLE we might not have to emulate a bunch of librararies we would have to emulate a lot more meticulous CPU stuff that's only available to lv0 hypervisor and lv1 OS which we don't have to worry about currently because all games run purely in lv2 GameOS. So I honestly don't feel like LLE is worth it but as stated multiple times now, if you feel strong enough about it, you can always do it yourself.

Don't forget the OS is running a full BSD kernel, so we'd have implement an abstraction layer that generates emulated hardware interrupts for things like the disc drive, the network card and the hard-drive. I don't even want to know what else needs to be done in terms of interrupt emulation. I feel like that would make things just harder to get right in the long run.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do you think rpcs3, as a HLE, is easier than as a LLE? - by Bigpet - 05-10-2014, 12:11 AM