This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The ultimate Question!
(07-14-2014, 07:13 AM)derpf Wrote:
(07-13-2014, 04:45 PM)Cold_Rock Wrote:
(07-13-2014, 12:53 PM)derpf Wrote:
(07-12-2014, 01:49 PM)Cold_Rock Wrote: But it makes me sad i have a lot of time, but no knowledge about C++ or ps3 to even help a tiny bit.

Then you're not using your time wisely. Tongue

Well, then how hard would it be to learn C++ and be able to commit code? Like i said i know nothing about c++ or ps3 technical details, (except some general info). It's just really hard to start somewhere, do you have a link to a tutorial for emulation coding if something like that even exists?

I volunteer to work with people who are learning programming so I have a decent chance at observing people. C++ is, indeed, one of the worst places to start. Typically what we'll recommend is starting with something like Python (LPTHW is a pretty decent free book for this) and get a grip on what you're even doing.

Once you are confident enough that you can write solid moderately complex programs you might feel up to starting to learn C++. But remember, one does not simply learn C++. It's an incredibly large and complicated language (the standard is over 1,300 pretty concise + technical pages) and it's hard to get right.

(Heh, fortunately it's not like RPCS3 is the most stellar C++ you'll ever see.)

Does that site really wait until exercise 30 to introduce if/elif/else?

Well, it could still be good I guess. Maybe. Also, it is for the deprecated Python 2...

In any case, if you decide to go through with it Cold_Rock, make sure you read everything thoroughly, and always try to use what you have read about yourself by writing your own small programs to test it out and experiment.

And also, it takes quite a while to remember every detail about a language. If you don't remember exactly how to use for example random in Python, it is totally ok to have a tab like this open. I am sure even hard core people like the rpcs3 devs have tons of tabs open for all sorts of different references.
Asus N55SF, i7-2670QM (~2,8 ghz under typical load), GeForce GT 555M (only OpenGL)
(07-14-2014, 01:31 PM)ssshadow Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 07:13 AM)derpf Wrote:
(07-13-2014, 04:45 PM)Cold_Rock Wrote:
(07-13-2014, 12:53 PM)derpf Wrote:
(07-12-2014, 01:49 PM)Cold_Rock Wrote: But it makes me sad i have a lot of time, but no knowledge about C++ or ps3 to even help a tiny bit.

Then you're not using your time wisely. Tongue

Well, then how hard would it be to learn C++ and be able to commit code? Like i said i know nothing about c++ or ps3 technical details, (except some general info). It's just really hard to start somewhere, do you have a link to a tutorial for emulation coding if something like that even exists?

I volunteer to work with people who are learning programming so I have a decent chance at observing people. C++ is, indeed, one of the worst places to start. Typically what we'll recommend is starting with something like Python (LPTHW is a pretty decent free book for this) and get a grip on what you're even doing.

Once you are confident enough that you can write solid moderately complex programs you might feel up to starting to learn C++. But remember, one does not simply learn C++. It's an incredibly large and complicated language (the standard is over 1,300 pretty concise + technical pages) and it's hard to get right.

(Heh, fortunately it's not like RPCS3 is the most stellar C++ you'll ever see.)

Does that site really wait until exercise 30 to introduce if/elif/else?

Well, it could still be good I guess. Maybe. Also, it is for the deprecated Python 2...

In any case, if you decide to go through with it Cold_Rock, make sure you read everything thoroughly, and always try to use what you have read about yourself by writing your own small programs to test it out and experiment.

And also, it takes quite a while to remember every detail about a language. If you don't remember exactly how to use for example random in Python, it is totally ok to have a tab like this open. I am sure even hard core people like the rpcs3 devs have tons of tabs open for all sorts of different references.

Python 3 is an easy step. Some people are still stuck on 2.x, anyway. I do not agree with all of LPTHW, but it is a decent book for beginners.

Python also ships with first-class documentation. In a python shell, type: import random; help(random) to do the same thing. Of course, browsing online docs are nice too.

And yeah, the RPCS3 devs are insane people who spend Friday nights watching talks/reading articles about obscure C++ language features.

Not that I'd ever do that, though.

*cough*