This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rpcs3 on OS X
Hi,
I built rpcs3 on OS X Yosemite today and tried the spinning cube demo. Good news is it works. Smile Though it requires a little effort. The issue is that OS X makes a clear distinction between OpenGL legacy (only up to version 2.1) and core profile (version 3.2 to 4.1) and wxWidgets knows of no such distinction. I patched wxWidgets (the version found in the git repo) to create a core profile by default, since rpcs3 requires version 3.3 due to some shaders. By the way OpenGL 3.2 is far more common on most Macs. Even though rpcs3 emits a lot of OpenGL errors now since it still uses some of the legacy GL stuff which has been removed from core.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/4gXS7kt.png

Now I could add OpenGL context profile functionality as SDL2 has to wxWidgets (it's not yet on their roadmap i guess) and submit a pull request. Else there would be no OpenGL functionality for OS X builds I guess.
Then the core vs legacy issue: will rpcs3 rely on those deprecated features in the future or will you switch to core only?
What do you think?
(08-04-2014, 12:09 AM)captainhorst Wrote: Then the core vs legacy issue: will rpcs3 rely on those deprecated features in the future or will you switch to core only?
What do you think?

For the forseeable future we will still use a compatibility profile and use "deprecated features". Just because some of these features correspond 1:1 to Commands in libGcm. Re-building these features with a GL core features would sometimes involve quite a bit of work.

But if you're up to the task of accurately emulating the deprecated functionality with shaders and reliably sync the additional state with the used shaders then I would suggest adding that as a second renderer option.
(08-04-2014, 08:32 AM)Bigpet Wrote:
(08-04-2014, 12:09 AM)captainhorst Wrote: Then the core vs legacy issue: will rpcs3 rely on those deprecated features in the future or will you switch to core only?
What do you think?

For the forseeable future we will still use a compatibility profile and use "deprecated features". Just because some of these features correspond 1:1 to Commands in libGcm. Re-building these features with a GL core features would sometimes involve quite a bit of work.

Of course, that makes sense. Ok, for now I will try to work on wxWidgets to be able to specify the OpenGL profile.

Edit: created a ticket http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/16402.

(08-04-2014, 08:32 AM)Bigpet Wrote: But if you're up to the task of accurately emulating the deprecated functionality with shaders and reliably sync the additional state with the used shaders then I would suggest adding that as a second renderer option.

I will look into that. Smile