This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My JPCSP Launcher Settings Guide 90% compatibility speed
Hello everyone, the purpose of this guide is to lend a hand to anyone that was having trouble configuring or understanding the JPCSP Launcher settings for different games.

This is from my own personal experience setting up my own PSP games to get them working up to 90%compatible/speed with the JPCSP emulator.

It took two separate builds, the "r2490"(ff4lol) and the latest "r2687" to get all of my games running up to about 90%. I did find though that the older build did seem a little bit faster on some games.

The games are as follows: Blazblue Calamity Trigger, Final Fantasy 1, Final Fantasy 2, Final Fantasy Dissidia, Final Fantasy Dissidia 012 Duodecim, Final Fantasy Crisis Core, Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection, Ghost and Goblins, Tactics Ogre, and Persona 3 Portable. All "US" region.(yes I am a Final Fantasy fan :p).

Before I get started explaining everything, here is my PC specs:

Memory Type: DDR3
Total Memory Size: 12GB
Maximum Resolution: 1600 x 900
Processor Class: Core i7
Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Type: Quad-Core
Processor Speed: 2.26GHz
Processor Number: 2670QM
Operating Systems: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
GPU: Nvidia GTX 560M
Video Memory: 3G GDDR5

I do have sort of a meaty PC. But I think some of these settings can help lower end PCs as well. I have learned that unlike other emulators JPCSP is less of a CPU hog and more of a RAM hog. But it takes a lot of resources regardless, CPU and GPU included. But since it was built on a much higher level programming language, its less....accurate, I guess.

So I have some decent knowledge about emulators and computers. But, I will have to say JPCSP takes a large amount of tweaking to get the games to run satisfactory. Some less than others, (Persona3). After staying up for about two day straight, studying the most helpful compatibility guides on the forums, learning some tricks from there, and troubleshooting with my own games, I found there are a lot of useful settings in the JPCSP Launcher that can dramatically increase the speed and compatibility of the games, and prevent crashes and stuttering.

Problem is, its hard to understand the settings unless you have a little but of understanding of RAM/Pagefiles.(not that I know a lot of that). But through trouble shooting my games(mainly blazblue and final fantasy1) I was able to learn kind of how the Launcher works and some useful tricks.

Now let me share my settings and try to explain a few things that I understand about them. I don't have a solid understanding of all the settings, and if anyone else has any advice I would love to hear your own experiences.

Everything that follows is default setting except the things listed here that you need to change:

JPCSP Launcher:
OPTIONS:
BASIC:
-Xss Size: 100
-Xms Size: 512
System profile (optional): CPU SSE4.1+ -4gigs+ RAM
Java Priority: High
Garbage Collector (optional): ConcMarkSweep

ADVANCED JAVA:
CHECK: -XX:+Large Pages
CHECK: -XX:+UseLargePagesIndividualAllocation
CHECK: -XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing
CHECK: -XX:+CICompilerCountPerCPU
CHECK: -XX:ResCodeCacheSize 1024
CHECK: -XX:MaxPermSize 1024
CHECK: -XX:UseSSE 99
CHECK: -XX:+UseSSE42Intrinsics

GARBAGE COLLECTOR:
CHECK: -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs
CHECK: -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis 1
CHECK: -XX:UseConcMarkSweepGC
CHECK: -XX:+UseParNewGC
CHECK: -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled
CHECK: -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
CHECK: -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode
CHECK: -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing

These settings insure the Paging file cache in Java is properly regulated and deleted, and some of the burden is spread to the CPU. Without these settings, the way the programming is, I dont want to say its memory leaking, more like unregulated. This insures code in memory is allocated smoothly.

Note: You need at least probably 8gigs of Ram and at least a dual core processor. You can lower the numbers by 1 half if your computer isn't up to par. Also its recommended that you have an Nvidia Graphics card for the next "Jpcsp settings" part.

So that's it for universal settings, the final part "JPCSP settings" need to be tweaked per game.

JPCSP SETTINGSSadnote: Use media Engine, Use compiler (dynarec), Extract media files to tmp folder, and Decode audio files with sonicstage, are all always checked. Max method size on all of my games are set to: 100)

BlazBlue:
CHECK: Use Shaders
CHECK: Save GE screen to Textures instead of Memory
CHECK: Enable decoding of indexed textures (CLUT)*

NOTES: Blazblue will crash after start up quit easily if the settings are not correct. Ignore invalid memory access will crash it. Also, in the Launcher under the BASIC settings if you set the Xms size too high it will crash. Other settings will crash it as well. As with most games that can enable it, "Enable decoding of indexed textures (CLUT)* greatly speeds it up. Also I found with most games, You don't need to set Anti-Aliasing. It will slow the game down or cause graphical errors. This game has sound errors. This game played slightly faster on the older "r2490" version.

Dissidia(1 and 2):
CHECK: Only GE graphics
CHECK: Use Vertex cache

NOTES: Dissidia 1's cut scenes play out faster than Dissidia 2's, which are also riddled with graphic bugs. In Dissidia 2 Using shaders makes the graphics bugs worse and you can also loose some of the vocal sound tracks, so I kept the shaders off. Both much faster on the newer "r2687" version.

Final Fantasy (1 and 2):
CHECK: Use shaders
CHECK: Ignore invalid memory access

NOTES: These games actually helped me figure out how to understand the Launcher better. I found that with the wrong settings, when I played the game the game would get slower and sound would start messing up more and more with time. This game helped me figure out that memory in the program wasn't being properly handled, and the pageing files were getting too loaded. These games play fine on either emulator, almost 100%.

Final Fantasy Crisis Core:

NOTES: This is a rather easy game to setup, runs better on the newer version. If you use "Enable decoding of indexed textures (clut)*", it graphics are pixleated and looses their "sharpness". This plays better on the newer "r2687" version.

Ghost n Goblins:
CHECK: Use Shaders

NOTES: As with most games enabling decoding of indexed textures (CLUT)*, is a great speedup. With these settings Aurthur has a graphical abnormality on the sprite, but the game runs at full speed. Either older or newer emulator is fine with this.

Persona3Portable:
CHECK: Use a Geometry Shader for 2d rendering

NOTES: This one is easy to setup out the box. If you have turned on "Only GE graphics", you will loose the beginning movie. Worked fine on either emulator.

Tactics Ogre:
CHECK: Use a Geometry Shader for 2D rendering
CHECK: Enable dynamic shader generation*
CHECK: Use debug font (disabe flash() fonts)
Anti Aliasing: X4

NOTES: Didn't have much problems with this game, just followed what was recommended in the compatibility guide and everything seemed to work fine at pretty good speed.

Final Fantasy IV CC:
CHECK: Use a Geometry Shader for 2d rendering
CHECK: Enable shader 'Color Mask' (more accurate, slower)*

NOTES: Requires "r2490" version to run 100%.

So that's it! I would love to hear from anyone else to see what settings worked for them. I hope this helped someone to save time setting up the emulator. If anyone has some suggestions for me I'm all open ears.

.zip   settings.zip (Size: 641.76 KB / Downloads: 534)
Hey I appreciate the settings the only I problem i have was turning +Largepage files on with 8gigs of ram and i53570K slowed all my games down.
PC Specs
Intel i5 3570K 3.40ghz
8GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce 560Ti 1GB
Fake!! This config is crap
GE and vertex makes my game to slowdown
Thank you soo much, I've been trying everything to get my Kingdom Hearts game to work and this is what did it. Smile
Are u using an AsusG74SX, i have same specs. Trying now, tks for that!