This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 4.76 Average
JPCSP Launcher [v1.8.0.4]
(12-09-2010, 03:11 PM)gid15 Wrote:
(12-09-2010, 11:50 AM)BinarySlave Wrote: +AgressiveOpts
+UseFastAccessorMethods
Do these options bring significant performance improvements?

I would say with svn 1890 there are significant improvements all the way in ZHP Unlosing Ranger (on my old Athlon XP 2800+):
- Intro now 20-50 FPS [mainly 1890 itself!] (before 10-17 FPS)
- Home Base now 19-25 FPS (before 15-20 FPS)
- Smaller Dungeons now 20-27 FPS (before 17-23 FPS)
- Bigger Dungeons now 19-23 FPS (before 15-19 FPS)

Inside the Home Base and smaller dungeons it's now near fluent playability. Heart
And I have to say that this old rig only has 1GB RAM. Angel

The biggest boost comes from 1890's better handling of "not playing" audio tracks (mainly Intro). Wink
2-3 FPS come from those 2 options, I would say. (No crashes, errors or whatever. So I keep them on all the time)

I really love your excellent work you put into this emulator. Cool
(12-09-2010, 07:03 PM)BinarySlave Wrote:
(12-09-2010, 03:11 PM)gid15 Wrote:
(12-09-2010, 11:50 AM)BinarySlave Wrote: +AgressiveOpts
+UseFastAccessorMethods
Do these options bring significant performance improvements?

I would say with svn 1890 there are significant improvements all the way in ZHP Unlosing Ranger (on my old Athlon XP 2800+):
- Intro now 20-50 FPS [mainly 1890 itself!] (before 10-17 FPS)
- Home Base now 19-25 FPS (before 15-20 FPS)
- Smaller Dungeons now 20-27 FPS (before 17-23 FPS)
- Bigger Dungeons now 19-23 FPS (before 15-19 FPS)

Inside the Home Base and smaller dungeons it's now near fluent playability. Heart
And I have to say that this old rig only has 1GB RAM. Angel

The biggest boost comes from 1890's better handling of "not playing" audio tracks (mainly Intro). Wink
2-3 FPS come from those 2 options, I would say. (No crashes, errors or whatever. So I keep them on all the time)

I really love your excellent work you put into this emulator. Cool

I don't know what ure talking about. No difference for me when I use those options.
Funny thing, I spend more time on the forum instead of on emulators Tongue

I messed with most of the options and only put in ones that helped in some way, although it can speed things up in one game it can also slow things down in another (maybe 1~fps changes) so not really a reliable option for everyday use
Large Pages can help in some cases but the persons system needs permission to lock pages in ram (pcsx2 needed to do this on the VM builds awhile back)
AggressiveHeap sounded neat was supposed to adjust java according to your ram , number of cpu's..etc, but it seems to slow things down for me (maybe people with 4+ cpu's can get better improvement with that option)
the -XX commands are experimental in java so sometimes they change or discontinue and not very documented Smile

the only ones i recommended setting is MaxPermSize (found by BlackDaemon), it can help out of memory errors , -Xss, -Xms,-Xrs

the other ones are iffy might help on a slower pc, but might not notice anything on a faster pc
I posted my findings on using various different GC algorithms through the -XX switches on here: http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=3050

Perhaps some of those switches can be added in the very useful JPCSP Launcher. Awesome launcher by the way. Smile
v1.3.0.8 [12-11-2010]
-Depreciated ffmpeg-native.7z extraction (no longer needed)
-Added new GC options in advanced
-Position reset fix
The custom path isn't working for me. I have it set up like this
JPCSP\dist\
JPCSP\dist\lib
is the jar file named jpcsp.jar?
I think in the Custom Path it would be better if users choose the actual jar file itself instead of just the jar path. This way the file doesn't have to be named jpcsp.jar. This is useful for those of us who download the source code directly through svn and build the jar file ourselves. In Netbeans, the name of the jar file is whatever name we use for the Netbeans project folder.

Oh, another switch that can be added in the Basic page is -Xverify:none which causes the JVM to skip the Java bytecode verification routine when loading classes. This speeds up the Jpcsp loading at the beginning a bit especially on slow machines, and probably also helps when combined with the -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled advanced switch so that when unloaded classes are loaded again, the JVM doesn't spend CPU time verifying it.
v1.3.0.9 [12-12-2010]
-Added new option -Xverify:none
-Custom path now takes jar filename instead of path
There's a bug in v1.3.0.9 related to the new Custom path jar filename feature. After setting the jar file in Custom path for the first time, it seems that the current working folder is set to whatever folder the jar file is located instead of the folder above it. Obviously this messes up jpcsp when you run it from the launcher since the emulator won't find the settings file, memory stick folder, and umd folder. A workaround for this is to exit JPCSP Launcher first after setting the Custom path, and then run it again to launch jpcsp so that it will launch the emulator using the correct working folder.